Welcome to the Womens Centre Cairns
Begun in 1986 we are a feminist not for profit community based organisation that provides services to women and their children.
The service upholds the belief that structural inequalities in society greatly disadvantage women and children and results in power differentials and violence in interpersonal relationships.
We believe that violence is never justifiable or excusable and that abusers should be held accountable for their behaviour.
We believe that every person has the right to live a life free of violence and abuse.
Prevention, intervention and support are integral components of all our programs.
We offer information and support in a safe, friendly and empowering environment free of charge. The support we provide is based on the belief that you have the right to:
- be listened to, believed and supported
- be treated with respect, dignity and understanding
- deal with your own life, in your own way and at your own pace
- choose who you tell and when
- confidentiality and privacy
- receive information & practical support that will assist you to make informed choices about your life